Monday 30 September 2013

Money Monday #2- Food Shopping


I remember when I started university last year, food shopping seemed like a really difficult thing and I admit the first time that I went, I spent the entire time on the phone to my mum asking her what I needed to make certain meals that I liked so much at home. Luckily while I was on the phone to my mum she warned me about the tricks that supermarkets can play in order to try and get you to spend more money!

So a word of warning freshers, that pack of biscuits that is on offer at the end of the isle, there is probably a much cheaper alternative down the biscuit isle! Also, try and avoid branded products and instead look for supermarket own varieties, or even their value ranges. Depending on your loan situation, you probably have £10- £15 a week to buy your food, that sounds a lot but in reality it is just over £2 a day, so use your money wisely or else come the end of term, you will be the person whose meals consist of something on toast because that is all you can afford!

Never go food shopping when you are hungry and always try and plan out your meals for the week ahead. Make sure to look in your cupboards before you go shopping and make a list of what you have and what you need to buy, otherwise you may well find yourself with three bottles of soy sauce (yes really!) It is also worth shopping around, certain supermarkets are cheaper than others- use websites such as mysupermarket.co.uk in order to work out where your weekly shop will be the cheapest!



No comments:

Post a Comment